There are varieties of rules engine that are available in the market. Picking the right one for your system would be a difficult choice. Hopefully, we could shed some lights on how we classify the rules engine at the high-level and what are the advantages and disadvantages of these solutions. Of course, we would show you how our LiveRules stack up in these categories.
The Rules Engines are mainly classified into two categories at the high level. They are
- Legacy Rules Engine
- Modern Rules Engine
What is a Legacy Rules Engine?
These are the rules engines that need the user to load the data objects and feed them to the Rules engine to process them. In the modern world, it is a very time-consuming process and most of the time, these Legacy rules engines fall well short for the modern business demand.
In Summary, the Legacy rules engines comes with
- Needs the data to be fed as objects because they can’t load the data by themselves
- It needs structured objects and predefined wiring to get access to the data using one of the SQL or other data loading methods
- They don’t come with out of the box support to integrate with various data sources
- They don’t enable support for third-party services through web services or messaging mechanisms unless there is a custom written code
- Any change in the structure or the wiring, it takes a long shot to fix it
What is a Modern Business Rules Engine?
The modern rules engines are intelligent enough to load the data by themselves and come with out of the box support for many integration points such as web services, third-party APIs and messaging.
In Summary, the Modern business rules engine comes with
- They can load the data from various data sources by themselves with given mapping
- They can interact with web services, messaging systems and other third-party APIs right out of the box
- It supports integration with NoSQL and big data systems out of the box
- Enables web-based system for authoring, monitoring and managing the application
Where does LiveRules fit in?
LiveRules comes with out of the box support for most of the modern-day business rules engine.
Some of the features of LiveRules are
- The web-based system for authoring and managing the rules
- Comes with out of the box support for Web services, messaging and third-party APIs integration
- Comes with a simple mapping web-based user interface, which can load, and process the data for you. The current LiveRules version (v1.0) supports for
- Any Java Supported RDBMS
- MongoDB (NoSQL)
- HBase for Hadoop integration
- YOROSIS hosts and supports the Rules Engine as a service model (which takes the JSON / XML as input and sends the output as JSON / XML)
- Comes with handy components such as Auditing, Advisor, Log Tracking, and Dashboard reporting for easy maintenance of the system
LiveRules offers much more than a modern-day business rules engine. The time to bring the system up from scratch with LiveRules is 10 – 20 times faster than the Legacy rules engine based system.
Interested in learning more about LiveRules, please contact us for a demo.